Friday, October 25, 2013

Life is crazy but got to remember we are still blessed!

So over the last two weeks I have been on an emotional roller coaster.  Having 6 kids will do that but its been more of a challenge to be a parent of a 18 year old graduate from High School and still no stability yet.  I will hold nothing back....so forgive my dear Kevin if you ever read this!  Kevin has been a pretty good kid.  Never gave me much trouble at all.  I never had to worry about him that much he communicated with me more then most his age and he was very active in Boy Scouts (earning his Eagle at 15) and was a part of the ROTC and was in the High School Marching Band along with being in the YOUTH CRIME WATCH in the high school.  Was his grades straight A's.......nope but he did go from 6th grade-11th day without missing a day of school.  So as far as from a parents view...I was blessed with a good kid considering what I see and hear about boys his age.

This brings me to a few days before he actually graduated....we butted heads and pretty much he left my house right after commencement and went a few days from hearing from him.  They wee make up he says he will change his ways.  I saw him trying but something still was not right.  Within 6 weeks we butt heads again and he left the house yet again.  Now this is 2x in 2 months.....a slap in the face to me.  Would it have been easier to struggle with him during his 4 years in High School or was he just making up for it now? 

He did manage to work the 2 jobs during the summer and in talks with a recruiter from the Air Force.  He needed to loose about 20 pounds and that shocked me cause he was not even the heavy but a rule is a rule.  He also kept missing the score he needed to enlist by 2 points so he still had lots of work to do.

Getting his license on his 18th Birthday in March he was not driving long.  We decided to let him but the truck from us for $3500 and we still owed almost $6,000 on it so he was making out.  Kevin was good kid however he has some downfalls....no value of time and always in a hurry.  I noticed dents on the truck and my Mark would give him an earful....one day in July my husband witnessed him speeding down our street so we gave him warning.  Well within a few days what happen......yup...speeding ticket! 

Ok fast forward to 6 weeks later....I get that phone call at 11 pm.....on the other end I hear MOM I had an accident....its pretty bad.  OK the mother in me wanted to make sure everybody was OK but I couldn't get those words out.....the angry mother in me said whose fault was it?????  I knew it was going to be his...I just knew it...and I knew he couldn't have been that hurt if he was talking to me.  So yes he made an illegal turn and a car came through intersection and hit him.  $7000 worth of damage to the truck. 

To make things worse our insurance CO is giving us a hard time..still not looking that good in our favor but that's a whole other story.

Well I hope this opened up his eyes.  He did mange to go talk to a Navy recruiter and see what they can offer and he goes the first week in November to gat a physical and such and if everything goes well he gets to enlist that day.  I think that is what he needs!  He will get a new start to his adult life!


 I am thankful nobody was hurt and this could have been a blessing in some disguise???

Blessings

Debbie

No comments: