Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Disturbing time at work...........

So as many know I work in a grocery store part time at night and I see all kind of people and many things that bother me too. You know the kids getting yelled at by their parents for no reason or are just being ignored or hearing the language that comes out of the parents mouth while yelling at the kids. I have many stories but this one we stick with more for awhile

Last night our Loss prevention guy caught a shoplifter. I saw him take the girl upstairs and he told me to call management. With this girl(and I mean girl..she just turned 21) was a newborn baby boy and a little girl who was no more than a young 2. Usually I have to go upstairs as a female witness and I kind of said do I really have to go because I will not be able to handle seeing those kids...well 5 minutes later I get paged to the upstairs office.

So I walk in and she is getting drilled by the Loss Prevention guy and the police were on their way. She had no ID and had recent theft on her record She was addicted to Heroin and now on methadone to control that.

The police come up and they are really drilling her....she could not tell the same story twice and very defiant and would not shut up...I was ready to get out of there..I already teared up looking at the girl just sitting there not knowing what was going on and imagining whats going through her head as her mom and cop are fighting back and forth. The cop finally said to her look I am tired of yelling at you and looking like a bad guy in front of your daughter...so he looks at me and asked if I can take her out.

the little girl was a little hesitant at first but I took her to get some cookies. She was so adorable..I got her talk a little..she had a purse and a baby doll. i asked her what her babies name was and she just smiled and said baby. I said to her so you are a big sister and she says yeah and I said what is his name and she says baby.LOL

Well we are walking through the store and I knew the police were searching the parking lot for her BF. Well the little girl turns the bend with me and says daddy! Now I Panic like now what do I do...he asked who are you and why are you with her and where is the baby and my GF..I just said she is upstairs with the baby and I am not sure what was going on.. I was just asked to take her to get a cookie. I was hoping I could get him upstairs because I did not want him to take her out of the store yet and he did follow me up. We get up there and now him and the cop are going at it and the little girl is just holding on to him as tight as she can to him..I tear up again. So I sat in on the rest and come to find out she is already dealing with CYF so they were called but the kids went home with her..and she also has another kids at home..

After was all said and done I juts went to my office and cried. How sad to see that first hand..we hear about it but that just made it all the real. I just pray for all this little kids who suffer through stuff like this on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, Debbie, that is heart-breaking. Just the other day we saw a couple check out ahead of us in the grocery store and they couldn't pay their bill. It's seems like we are seeing more and more people going through hard times right now.

true blessings said...

what saddens me is nowadays young people standing at the corners asking for money,some with their wife & kids.....

Debbie said...

yeah sadly by working in a retail I see this stuff all so well...
thanks true blessing for stopping by! I would love to read your blog!