Wednesday, August 12, 2009

who would have thought habing a child in the HS band would be so overwhelming!

So I went to my 1st band parent meeting and my chest and head hurts! I def want my son to stick with the band, he has played his trumpet since 3rd grade along with the piano since 2nd and bass since 3rd too so no doubt I want him to stay with music, however being in the band is not just alot of work for the student it is for the parent too!

This is the year for the "Disney Trip" so that equal $$$$! fundraisers all the time. Ok so that is expected but the band is one the of the best in this whole area and they take pride and its awesome to see that but now I have to be a part of that and 5 kids (1 with autism) and working 32-49 hours a week is not going to be easy.

Don't get me wrong I attend the meetings when I can and I am willing to help out but this volunteering for the band is going to be like another job for me! They work on a point system...1 hour of service+2 points and each kids parents have to get 50 points or you pay money. So I could give them $100 and that's it but who am I kidding..don't have that much money to do just that!

well so far I am working the snack bar at the HS football game...that's about 4 hours so 8 points! Then they have a band festival and I am passing out water and pretzels to the visiting bands...not sure how many hours...lets say 2...4 more point! I volunteered my mom(HA HA) to make Huklishki(sp) for one of the games and that's 5 points! I will have17 points..WOOHOOO...Only 33 more to go!!!!!!!!!Well I can call it quits there but I will have to pay $66 which I still dont have and maybe thats because the trip is costing $1200 and not sure if I can fund raise all of that...my son does have $450 so far but the trip is in April..oh wait the money is due Feb...(my head hurts again!)

So on top of that we have all the parades that I have to go to(thats what moms do) and the FB games every Friday night(and by October/Nov it will be freezing out) I can all I can to it bear it and keep looking forward..and think if all my kids will be in the band I only have.....13 more years of this! Chest hurts now too!

No comments: